Portal for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 | The portal for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships 2022 are now open, Getty Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships are intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme, African American Art History Initiative, or Paul Revere Williams Research Project. Read through
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships, Recipients may be in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue research projects, complete their dissertations, or expand dissertation for publication. Fellows make use of the Getty collections, join in a weekly lecture devoted to an annual theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
Scholar Grant recipients at the Getty Center may be in residence from three to nine months and receive varying stipends as detailed below*:
- Three-month residency: September–December/January–March; $21,500 stipend
- Six-month residency: September–March/January–June; $43,000 stipend
- Nine-month residency: September–June; $65,000 stipend. These terms apply as of June 2023 and the terms and length of grants are subject to change. Health and safety guidelines for grantees may also be imposed.
- Applications for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships.
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowship applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the application deadline and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period. Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants who received their degree before September 1, 2020 should apply for a Getty Scholar Grant.
How To Apply:
- Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Fellowship application form (which includes uploading a Project Proposal; Selected Bibliography; Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract; Curriculum Vitae; Writing Sample; and Confirmation letter by the deadline.
- Two letters of recommendation are also required for this application.
Application deadline: October 2, 2023