Portal for Propublica Emerging Reporters 2022| The Propublica has open portal for Emerging Reporters 2022, ProPublica has a vested interest in developing more journalists from diverse backgrounds, particularly those who are economically disadvantaged. The Emerging Reporters Program provides $9,000 stipends Etc. Read how to apply below.
ProPublica’s Emerging Reporters Program exist because People of color are underrepresented in our nation’s newsrooms. The most recent survey by the American Society of News Editors suggests that people of color make up a quarter of U.S. newsroom employees. Often, those numbers are even smaller in newsrooms focused on investigative reporting.
ProPublica has a vested interest in developing more journalists from diverse backgrounds, particularly those who are economically disadvantaged. We consider it crucial to the future of our industry and to our own ability to fulfill our mission, which is to expose abuses of power and produce journalism that provokes change. Without the voices and points of view of more journalists of color, there is every reason to believe that important stories are being overlooked. Barriers that keep aspiring journalists of color from entering the field include financial constraints and lack of access to mentors and training. The Emerging Reporters Program is aimed at lowering those barriers.
The Emerging Reporters Program provides $9,000 stipends, along with mentoring and trips to investigative journalism conferences, such as the National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting conference, to five students each year who work or want to work at college journalism outlets: newspapers, websites, radio stations or TV stations.
- A stipend of $9,000 is available to the selected fellow. Students will receive stipends of $4,500 each at the beginning of the program and at its midway point.
- The Emerging Reporters Program is specifically designed for talented aspiring journalists who find investigative journalism inaccessible for financial reasons.
- All students who will be juniors or seniors in college this academic year are eligible to apply, and students from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in journalism, including people of color, are especially encouraged to do so.
- Participants are expected to take a full course load during the 2022-23 school year.
- Applicants must also demonstrate financial need.
- The Emerging Reporters Program is only open to U.S. citizens or U.S. residents, for tax purposes. They will not make any exceptions to this rule.
How To Apply:
Apply Emerging Reporters 2022-2023 by clicking the link Apply Here
Application Deadline: August 8, 2022