The portal for Burke Climate and Health Fellowship Award 2024 are now open, Successful candidate and institution will go home with the sum of $75,000 per year for a total of up to two years to support scholarship related to climate and health. continue reading!
About Burke Climate and Health Fellowship Award
In partnership with the Salata Institute for Climate and Sustainability, The Harvard Global Health Institute is now offering a 2-year fellowship program for eligible research fellows, post-doctoral scholars, and early career faculty pursuing scholarly research at the intersection of climate change and global health.
During their fellowship, Burke Climate and Health Fellows will work closely with a Harvard faculty mentor in any school or department on their proposed research project.
The Burke Climate and Health Fellowship Award programm fully supported by:
- The Harvard Global Health Institute
- Salata Institute for Climate and Sustainability
- Harvard alumna Katherine States Burke
- AB’79, and her husband
- T. Robert Burke
There are three types of Burke Fellowship awards:
- Burke Global Health – Research: $75,000 each
Research awards provide opportunities for junior faculty to conduct foundational research that prepares them to be independent investigators or to conduct exploratory work on groundbreaking questions seldom supported by traditional funding sources.
- Burke Global Health – Curriculum Development and Teaching: $25,000 each
Curriculum Development and Teaching awards provide opportunities for junior faculty to apply innovative pedagogy to course development and teaching, particularly at the undergraduate level.
- (NEW) Burke Climate and Health – Research: $75,000 each
The climate and health award includes a salary of $75,000 per year for a total of up to two years to support scholarship related to climate and health.
The Harvard Global Health Institute and the Salata Institute expect to support two Climate and Health Fellows to join the 2024 cohort.
- How to Apply Foodtech Innovation Awards 2024 (Fully Funded)
- How to Apply KPMG Undergraduate Internship Programme 2024
- How to Apply for Nestlé Internal Audit Recruitment 2024
Further expectations are outlined below:
- Participate in relevant Harvard Global Health Institute and Salata Institute scheduled events.
- Participate in Harvard University Center for the Environment (HUCE) bi-weekly fellow dinners and other HUCE scheduled activities throughout the year.
- Submit an annual progress report and a scholarly paper (e.g., peer-reviewed publication) to The Harvard Global Health Institute and Salata Institute.
- Present research findings and accomplishments achieved as a result of Burke funding to the global health community at the end of their fellowship.
- Serve as a Pathways to Global Health Speaker seminar series. This is a 1-hour, virtual seminar series for undergraduate students interested in careers in global health.
- Acknowledge HGHI Burke funding in all award letters and event communications, including invitation letters, websites, announcements, flyers, press releases, presentations, publications and publications, presentations, and reports.
- Serve as a reviewer for future applicants to the fellowship.
- Harvard Global Health Institute welcome applicants from both domestic and foreign institutions. Non-US citizens, who are permitted to work within the US, are eligible to apply.
- Proposed research projects should have a clear climate and health focus and may include mitigation or adaptation actions that consider or directly evaluate interventions designed to improve health outcomes. Understudied populations, including residents of low- or middle-income countries or regions, children, people who are pregnant, migrant laborers, and racial or ethnic minoritized groups will be prioritized.
- Candidates with a doctoral degree or equivalent in a relevant field (e.g., medicine, public health, climate science, epidemiology, environmental health, economics etc.) are eligible.
- Ideal candidates are research fellows, post-doctoral fellows, or are within the first 5 years of a faculty position at their home institution.
- Candidates must secure a commitment from one Harvard faculty member to serve as a research mentor (see criteria on this requirement below).
- Candidates must commit at least 75% FTE effort to their research for the 2-year program.
- Candidates should demonstrate experience performing scholarly research (e.g., publications of peer reviewed manuscripts or policy briefs) as part of their application
Criteria for Harvard Faculty Sponsoring Mentor:
- Sponsoring mentor must have a PhD or MD and be a Harvard faculty member (Assistant, Associate or Full Professor)
- Sponsoring mentor must demonstrate expertise to support the applicant’s area of research.
- Sponsoring mentor must submit a letter of support (maximum of two pages) to the selection committee describing in detail the level of commitment to the research and the candidate. Applications without this letter of support will not be considered.
- The sponsoring mentors Harvard department must administratively credential and house their mentee.
- Applicants and the Faculty Sponsoring Mentor must obtain a letter from their academic department head acknowledging that indirect costs are not covered.
- Mentor must guarantee at least 75% of protected time for research for their mentee for the 2- year program.
How to Apply for Burke Climate and Health Fellowship Award
Candidates applying by self nominating themselves and filling out an application.
To apply for a Burke Global Health Fellowship applicants must hold a junior faculty appointment at Harvard University (ie: Assistant or Associate Professor, Instructor). Faculty working in disciplines outside of health and life sciences are encouraged to apply so long as the work falls within global health.
To apply for a Burke Climate and Health Fellowship applicants are research fellows, post-doctoral scholars, and early career faculty pursuing scholarly research at the intersection of climate change and global health.
Questions about your eligibility or the application? Email email@example.com
Application Deadline for Burke Climate and Health Fellowship Award :
All application materials are due by 5PM EST, Friday, March 3, 2024. Applicants will be notified in May 2024 if selected for this position.