How to Apply for Yale Young African Scholars programme 2023 | Yale Young African Scholar (YYAS) 2023 application is now open. Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent. check the requirement and how to apply below.
Over the seven-day program, when YYAS takes place online or in-residence, participants will utilize various online platforms, including Zoom, to engage in seminars, lectures, and conversations. All relevant program information will be communicated directly to admitted participants.
- How to Apply For Recruitment in Bank of Africa 2022
- Challenge Fund for Youth Employment (CYFE) Call for Solutions (Nigeria) 2022
- How to Process Deferment of Admission in Nigeria Universities
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is a proud member of the HALI Access Network and continues to enjoy support from The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale. YYAS was modeled off its sister program, Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS), and continues to operate under its umbrella.
- The YYAS program can provide free housing and academic curriculum materials for all participants during the residential program.
- Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive university admission and financial aid application guidance, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa.
- The program, students will be paired with mentors who will help advise them throughout the university application process.
- YYAS will offer a residential program in addition to its online program
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old, and not older than 18 years old, by the application deadline (1st February 2023) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English:You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2024. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2023 and no later than November/December 2024.
Please note that If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
The following three (3) components are required of all applicants:
- Completed application form- The application can be found online and must be filled out by the applicant. Students will be asked to complete one 500-word essay and two short responses, and must provide information on their extracurricular activities and the school that they currently attend.
- Official transcript or grade report(s) – A student transcript is an official document provided by the school and includes the applicant’s list of courses and grades received. Students must upload their official transcript or grade report(s) for each year of secondary school. National exam scores, if available, should also be submitted but are not required. If a student has changed secondary schools at any point, they must include records both from their previous AND their current school. Please refrain from uploading certificates or transcripts from primary school.
- One (1) teacher recommendation – The recommendation must be filled out via the Online Recommendation Form that will be sent to a teacher’s email after the student provides their contact details. An email will be sent with a link to the Form and instructions on how to fill it out. The recommendation must be written and submitted by a teacher who knows the student well. Recommendations from parents/guardians, siblings, relatives, family friends, and/or paid private tutors/counselors will NOT be accepted.
They place great importance on these recommendations because we understand that students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and education contexts. We appreciate teachers taking the time to write recommendations for their student(s). To ensure sincerity, we ask that teachers please refrain from sharing their recommendations with students
How to Apply:
Interested candidate who meet the Yale Young African Scholars criteria Click Here to Apply
YYAS reviews all applications holistically, and there are no minimum grade or standardized exam score requirements. However, a high level of English proficiency will be expected.
Application deadline: 01 February 2023