How to Apply African Union Media Fellowship Programme 2023 | The African Union Media Fellowship Programme 2023 are now open, the will gather all media professionals passionate about promoting development-focused stories using emerging technologies in various media forms, Are you from African country? Apply now Deadline: July 23rd, 2023
Why African Union Media Fellowship Programme 2023?
To ensure Africa is at the forefront of defining and telling its own narrative to African and global audiences, the Information and Communication Directorate (ICD) of the African Union (AU) launched the AU Media Fellowship as a transformative platform to shape the African story and create a more accurate representation of Africa’s progress and opportunities using the using emerging digital technologies as a key tool for communication and engagement that will enable the continent to achieve the vision and aspirations of Africa’s Agenda 2063.
- Africa Exchange Program for scholars and researchers 2023 (Fully Funded)
- Royal Society University Research Fellowship 2023 (Up to £90,000)
- Open Futures Scholarship 2023 ( Black Students in the UK)
The African Union Media Fellowship Programme 2023 is sponsor by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- Certified training from renowned partners and media training institutions
- Grants that support the creation of in-depth stories and e-books that compile all of these stories.
- Access to AU senior leadership, high level AU meetings, summits and events; as well as policymakers and AU development partners
- Exclusive Masterclass with industry professionals
- Support from experienced mentors and institutions and participation in key events with media industry professionals.
- International and continental study tours
- Access to AU Media Fellowship Alumni network
The AU Media Fellowship (AUMF) provides a structured environment for enhancing skills and knowledge in analysis, content creation and storytelling through training, mentorship, and hands-on experiences, enabling participants to sharpen their journalistic storytelling abilities, learn new techniques, and gain expertise in utilising emerging technologies and digital media platforms
Networking & Collaboration:
The AU Media Fellowship (AUMF) provides a platform to connect and collaborate with like-minded industry professionals and experts, , content creators, government, policy makers and key industry players
Access to Resources:
The AU Media Fellowship (AUMF) provides access to technical resources, tools and equipment, including grants, state-of-the-art technology, research materials and platforms for publishing or broadcasting of work developed during the course of the programme.
- Gender and Women Empowerment – Promoting efforts towards the Economic and Financial Inclusion of African Women (Agenda 2063 Aspiration 6, AU Gender Equality and women’s Empowerment Strategy (GEWE);the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa (Maputo Protocol), and the AU Constitutive Act.
- Advancing Trade, Investment, and Industrialisation– Promoting efforts towards Africa’s Economic integration. This is in line with the 2023 AU theme of the year – Acceleration of AfCFTA Implementation. (Agenda 2063 Aspiration 1 and 2) other key documents
- Agricultural development, Environmental Protection and Climate action – Advancing agriculture and agri-business through sustainable environment management for a sustainable and resilient future. (Agenda 2063 Aspiration 1)
- Culture and Creative Industries & Sports Development: Africa, through Agenda 2063, envisions vibrant cultural expressions, thriving creative industries, and enhanced sports infrastructure for sustainable development. (Agenda 2063 Aspiration 5)
- Governance & Democracy – Africa is actively promoting good governance through transparency, accountability, rule of law, and strengthening democratic institutions for inclusive and sustainable development. (Agenda 2063 Aspiration 2, 3 and 4)
- Transforming Africa through Digital Innovation – Africa’s Digital transformation Strategy – Positioning Africa for the 4th Industrial Revolution (Focus on Cybersecurity and personal Data Protection), Digital inclusion, and other data policy frameworks (Agenda 2063 Aspiration 1)
- Regional Integration and Economic Cooperation- Advancing a unified Africa through free movement, fostering economic collaboration and sustainable development for shared prosperity. (Agenda 2063 Aspiration 2 and 7)
How to Apply African Union Media Fellowship Programme 2023
The Fellowship is 12-month long programme, scheduled to begin in August 2023.
August – December 2023 : Following final selection and acceptance into the programme, Fellows will attend virtual induction sessions, on-boarding training and embark on the first study tour. During this period the Fellows are expected to work on their pitch stories and also participate in mandatory online certified trainings (Self-selection) and master classes from industry experts.
January – March 2024 : Fellows will attend the second study tour as well as benefit from in-person training and one-on-one mentorship and also participate in mandatory online certified training (Self-selection) and master classes from industry experts. Fellows will be also be invited to attend the Annual African Union Summit in February 2024 where they can have exclusive access to engage with senior African leadership and invited international participants attending the AU Summit. .
April – June 2024 : Fellows will embark on the final study tour and continue to benefit from training and best practice sessions.
July 2024 : Fellows will present final stories, receive certificates and participate in closing ceremonies / sessions
Application Deadline: July 23rd, 2023