The Africa Food Prize recognizes extraordinary women, men, and institutions whose outstanding contributions to African agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity that elevates all Africans.
- The Africa Food Prize is the preeminent award recognizing an outstanding individual or institution that is leading the effort to change the reality of farming in Africa—from a struggle to survive to a business that thrives.
- Application Deadline: June 17, 2023
The award prize celebrates Africans who are taking control of Africa’s agriculture agenda. It puts a spotlight on bold initiatives and technical innovations that can be replicated across the continent to create a new era of food security and economic opportunity for all Africans.
- US $100,000 prize
- The Prize can be awarded to more than one winner, but not more than two. If shared, each winner will receive equal prize money (USD 100, 000 divided in two), a diploma and a trophy.
- It puts a spotlight on bold initiatives and technical innovations that can be replicated across the continent to create a new era of food security and economic opportunity for all Africans
- Next Economy Empowers Youth in Nigeria 2023 (Fully Funded)
- International Essay Contest for Young People by Goi Peace Foundation 2023
The Africa Food Prize recognizes extraordinary women, men, and institutions whose outstanding contributions to African
agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity that elevates all Africans. Building
on the values and principles established by the Yara Prize, the Africa Food Prize puts a bright spotlight on achievements and
innovations that can be replicated across the continent to eliminate hunger and poverty and provide a vital new source of
employment and income.
- Contribution to reducing poverty and hunger and/or improving food and nutrition security in measurable terms
- Contribution to providing a vital source of income and/or employment in measurable terms
- Potential for transformative change through scalability, replication, and sustainability
- Increased awareness and cooperation among African audiences and organizations
- Proven leadership potential of the individual or organization, specifically the ability of the to Persevere despite significant challenges or risks
- The Africa Food Prize can be awarded to any individual or identifiable group of individuals, as well as to established
institutions, associations, organizations or government bodies with a formal and recognized judicial and organizational
structure contributing to the overall objectives of the Prize.
- The Prize can be awarded to any qualified candidate, irrespective of nationality, profession or location, whose work,
and contributions deriving from the work, has had a clear impact on the African situation, nationally, regionally or for
- The Prize can be awarded with reference to a specific contribution or achievement, or a series of efforts and results
in the recent past, preferably within the last few years.
- Current or recent members of the Africa Food Prize Committee, or an institution/organization headed by such
a member, are ineligible for the Prize.
- The Prize cannot be awarded to a person already deceased but will be presented in the event a Prize winner dies before receiving the Prize.
How to apply
To be eligible for the Prize, a nomination must be submitted in writing in either English or French. In order to be considered by the Africa Food Prize Committee, all nominations and supporting documentation must be received by 17th June 2023.
Nominations should be submitted on: https://africafoodprize.org/nominate/