MEXT Scholarship for 2024| The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) Japan, has open scholarship portal for to international teachers who are willing to conduct research on school education at designated Japanese universities as Teacher Training Students under the Japanese Government (MEXT). Read the requirement below.
About MEXT Scholarship
MEXT accepts applications from international students for study in Japan who satisfy the following qualifications
and conditions. Its aim is to foster human resources who will become bridges of friendship between the grantee’s
country and Japan through study in Japan and who will contribute to the development of both countries and the
Read more opportunities
MEXT Scholarship Award
- Allowance: After arrival in Japan, 143,000 yen per month will be paid. A supplemental regional allowance of
2,000 or 3,000 yen per month will be added to the monthly scholarship amount for the grantees studying or
conducting research in specially designated regions. Due to the situation of the Japanese Government’s budget,
the amount of payment may be subject to change each fiscal year. If a grantee is absent from the university for
an extended period, the scholarship shall be suspended for that period.
- Education Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation and tuition at universities will be paid by
- Travel Expenses: (Transportation to Japan) “Arrival in
Japan,” MEXT stipulates the travel schedule and route, and provides an economy-class airline ticket for the
flight from the international airport closest to the grantee’s residence (in principle, the country of nationality) to
an international airport in Japan used on the normal route to the accepting university. The travel schedule change
or route change is not allowed after provision of airline ticket.
- Travel Expenses: (Transportation from Japan) Based on the application by the grantee, MEXT will provide an airline ticket to
grantees who shall complete the training course at the accepting university and return to the home country by
the end of the final month of the scholarship period
Eligibility for MEXT Scholarship:
- Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan
- Age: In principle, applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1989
- Academic and Career Background: Applicants must be graduates of universities or teacher training schools
and have worked as teachers at primary/secondary educational institutions or teacher training schools (excluding
universities) in their home countries for a total period of five years or more as of October 1, 2024.
- Japanese Language Ability: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in
Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. Applicants must also have
the ability to do research and adapt to living in Japan.
- Health: Applicants must submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that
the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
- Arrival in Japan: In principle, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan by the designated period (usually
September or October) between the day two weeks before the course starts and the starting date of the course.
- Visa Requirement: An applicant shall, in principle, newly obtain a “Student” visa at the Japanese diplomatic
mission located in the applicant’s country of nationality, and enter Japan with the newly obtained status
residence of “Student”
MEXT Scholarship for 2024 (Study in Japan)
How to Apply MEXT Scholarship
Interested candidate should submit application online. Apply Here
Application Deadline: Varying by Country