Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme 2023/2024| The Government of Ireland has open portal for international student to apply for Postgraduate Scholarship Programme at any of Ireland’s universities of their choice. The Scholarship Programme is an established national initiative, funded by the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, and managed by the Council.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is unique in the Irish research landscape and complements other channels for funded postgraduate education in the Irish ecosystem. Among its features are:
- individual, prestigious awards for excellent research in the name of the applicant;
- an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review;
- funding across all disciplines, from archaeology to zoology; and
- awards for bottom-up, non-directed research, with the exception of those funded by our strategic funding partners.
- A stipend of €18,500 per annum
- A contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum
- Eligible direct research expenses of €3,250 per annum
Pioneering proposals addressing new and emerging fields of research or those introducing creative, innovative approaches are welcomed. Proposals of an interdisciplinary nature are also encouraged as it is recognised that advancing fundamental understanding is achieved by integrating information, techniques, tools and perspectives from two or more disciplines.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is highly competitive, with an average success rate of 18% over the past five years. Successful awardees under the programme are recognised as demonstrating world-class potential as future research leaders
Degree type Duration of funding to be awarded
- Research master’s degree 1 year
- Structured research master’s degree 2 years
- Traditional doctoral degree 3 years
- Structured doctoral degree 4 years
- There is no age limit for applicants to be eligible for either programme type.
- All applicants must be affiliated with an eligible Irish higher education institution or research-performing organisation.
- Applications will only be accepted in either the Irish or English language
- Applicants must not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to the relevant programme, including to strategic partner themes. This applies regardless of whether the applicant has changed their host institution or research topic since a previous submission.
A number of government departments and agencies partner with the Irish Research Council to support the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme as a mechanism to deliver on shared national objectives. The Irish Research Council’s strategic funding partners for 2023 are:
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth
- Department of Foreign Affairs
- Met Éireann
How to apply for Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme 2022
Potential applicants should read the call documentation carefully to ascertain whether or not they are eligible to apply. Indicative versions of the applicant and supervisor forms are provided for information purposes only. All participants must create and submit their forms via the online system.
|Call open||16:00 (Irish time) 8 September 2023|
|FAQ deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 13 October 2023|
|Applicant deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 20 October 2023|
|Supervisor deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 27 October 2023|
|Research office endorsement deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 3 November 2023|
|Call outcome||End of March 2023|
|Award start date||1 September 2023|
Application Deadline: 20 October 2023