How to Apply International Development Research Center to Study In Canada 2023 | IDRC Research Awards 2023–2024 portal are now open for interested researchers to study In Canada. The programme is to invest in high-quality research in developing countries, share knowledge with researchers and policymakers for greater uptake and use, and mobilize our global alliances to build a more sustainable and inclusive world. Check below eligibility and requirement on how to apply.
In IDRC , They strive to nurture emerging researchers in Canada and in developing countries who will apply their research in innovative ways to solve development challenges. Their research awards program helps to build the capacity and careers of individuals by funding academic study and mobility, research, the development of complementary skills, and hands-on experience.
As part of Canada’s foreign affairs and development efforts, the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) champions and funds research and innovation within and alongside developing regions to drive global change.
IDRC was established by an Act of Canada’s Parliament in 1970 with a mandate “to initiate, encourage, support, and conduct research into the problems of the developing regions of the world and into the means for applying and adapting scientific, technical, and other knowledge to the economic and social advancement of those regions.”
Aims of IDRC
- They are committed to creating and fostering a respectful, diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace culture that reflects the people’s lives we impact and the Canadian community we work within, where everyone can truly be themselves
- They welcome Indigenous peoples and persons from all races, ethnicities, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, as well as persons with physical or mental disabilities to be part of our team
This year IDRC will offer research awards related to these development areas or themes:
- Climate-Resilient Food Systems,
- Democratic and Inclusive Governance,
- Education and Science,
- Ethics in Development Research,
- Global Health,
- Policy and Evaluation, and
- Sustainable Inclusive Economies.
- IDRC offers grants, funding, and awards to researchers and institutions to find solutions for global development challenges.
- All awards will be based in Ottawa except for the Global Health award that will be based in Nairobi
- If your research proposal is selected, you will join IDRC as a Research award recipient for a period of 12 months from 1 May 2023 to 30 April 2024 to undertake research on the topic you have submitted
- Successful applicants will receive hands-on experience in research and program management and support, grant administration, and the creation, dissemination, and use of knowledge from an international perspective
- Awardees in Ottawa will be considered full-time non-union employees of IDRC for payroll purposes
- Benefits include employer contributions to employment insurance, employer health tax, the Canada Pension Plan, and paid vacation leave
- The salary range is CA$42,033 – CA$48,659.
- For the awards based in Ottawa: Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and students from low or middle-income countries, enrolled in a Canadian university with a work permit valid for full-time work (37.5 hours per week) in Canada until 30 April 2024.
- For the Global Health award based in Nairobi, the candidates must hold Kenyan citizenship.
- Students who are enrolled in or who have completed a master’s program from a recognized university within the last three years
- Preference will be given to students who have completed a master’s degree
- Applied for only one research award recipient opportunity
- Proposed research must focus on one or more developing countries on the OECD DAC list of ODA recipients
- Field research component cannot be more than 3 months
- Research cannot be proposed in countries with Government of Canada travel security advisories to “Avoid all travel”
- Specific eligibility criteria of each research theme must be satisfied
How to Apply International Development Research Center to Study In Canada 2023
- Completed Research proposal submission and Academic information and professional qualifications form and for awards in Ottawa a copy of your valid student permit or full-time work permit valid at least until 30 April 2024, if applicable , or proof of your Kenyan Citizenship for the award in Nairobi which must be uploaded as part of the application process (Note: If these documents are not uploaded your application will not be considered)
- Candidates who have valid student permits and are selected will have offers conditional upon obtaining a work permit valid for full-time work (37.5 hours) from 1 May 2023 and 30 April 2024