Portal for Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada Junior Research Scholar (JRS) 2023 | The Portal for Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada Junior Research Scholar (JRS) 2024 is open, The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada (APF Canada) is committed to fostering the next generation of Asia Pacific researchers and practitioners. To this end, it offers one full-time, eight-month term as a Junior Research Scholar (JRS) – Northeast Asia for applicants interested in Canada-Japan and/or Canada-Korea Relations as part of the Canada-Asia Sustainability Tracker ( CAST), an exciting new project by the Foundation.
CAST is an online, interactive platform for mapping and visualizing developments in the Asia Pacific with respect to specific nodes of Canadian engagement with the region. Focused primarily on sustainability and ESG developments, CAST will provide sub-national level data and information on Asian affairs, Asia’s two-way engagement with Canada, and related emerging trends.
The JRS will join APF Canada’s research team and work directly with a Program Manager to develop the Northeast Asia (Japan and South Korea) component of the CAST platform. The JRS will help explore sub-national level events in Northeast Asia, collect and analyze data relevant to our understanding of sustainability and ESG developments in the jurisdictions, and provide context around the findings. The position requires the JRS to have an active interest in Northeast Asia, good research and writing skills, a penchant for investigating issues, curiosity, and a willingness to learn and work in a fast-paced environment. The JRS should also have Japanese and/or Korean language proficiency and the ability to provide an unbiased analysis of events. Willingness to offer and receive feedback is a beneficial asset.
Grant: $3,300 monthly.
Junior Research Scholar Duties:
The Junior Research Scholar will work under the direct supervision of a Program Manager and engage in the following activities:
- Work with the Foundation’s research team on collecting and analyzing information on Northeast Asia and Canada-Japan and South Korea relations;
- Work with the Foundation’s research team in collecting and analyzing sub-national level data on sustainability and ESG-related events and developments in Northeast Asia;
- Actively collect, analyze, and write event summaries for the CAST tool;
- Work with the research team to build datasets for CAST;
- Contribute regularly to APF Canada’s Asia Watch newsletter;
- Provide support to various ongoing Engaging Asia research initiatives as needed;
- Assist with other duties as assigned in support of APF Canada.
- Applicants should be eligible to work in Canada and be either a student or have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree program within the past 24 months of the application deadline;
- And as part of their legal obligation under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and consistent with their Vaccination Policy, APF Canada requires all staff and future staff to be dual vaccinated for in-office reporting. Such vaccination requirement is subject to the APF Canada’s duty to accommodate under applicable human rights legislation.
How To Apply:
Applicants should submit the following documents MERGED in ONE single PDF file.
- Résumé detailing the applicant’s academic background, skills, and professional experiences relevant to the job description.
- One-page cover letter detailing the applicant’s research interests, career interests, fit with the job requirements, and why they are interested in working at the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada.
- Sample of work reflecting research and writing skills. An original writing sample of no more than 10 pages, single-spaced in English (a functioning URL link to a sample is also acceptable); alternatively, a published journal article or book chapter authored by the applicant will also be accepted.
- Name, title, and contact information (email and phone number) for two academic or professional references. References will only be contacted if the applicant is short-listed for the role.
- Optional: A copy of the applicant’s university transcript(s) (scanned or electronic documents are sufficient).
Currently, The application portal will open soon, keep visiting this page. Note that Applications are considered on a rolling basis; early submission is encouraged.
For more information: Visit JRS