Code for Africa Recruitment of Insights Editor 2022| Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Insights Editorto join our CivicSignal research and analysis team. The Insights Editor will coordinate the data-driven investigative reports and analysis generated by CivicSignal and other CfA research teams, to produce actionable insights into the continent’s media ecosystem and emerging civic technology sector. Read Through.
The position is based at one of our hubs in Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal or South Africa. We’re also open to exceptional applicants from elsewhere in Africa.
The successful candidate will join CfA’s transnational CivicSignal research team, which drives analysis of the continent’s media ecosystem and emerging civic technology sector. You will be the editorial sherpa for Code for Africa’s multinational and multilingual team that uses digital collaboration tools and machine intelligence toolkits to create research reports and datasets for a global audience and international institutional partners.
About the Role:
The successful candidates will join CfA’s transnational CivicSignal research team, to craft and manage the content production process and output for CfA’s content production teams. These include iLab, our digital forensics investigative team, and PesaCheck, our fact-checking team, as well as the CivicSignal research team. Outputs take the form of research reports, briefing documents and presentations, among others.
As part of a multinational team within a growing organisation, you must be agile and able to thrive in a multicultural environment. You will need to work easily with people from different backgrounds who may speak different languages.
- Demonstrable newsroom management skills in a mainstream media or equivalent digital publishing environment.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and demonstrable aptitude for operationally managing multiple content production teams across countries.
- Demonstrable ability to create team timelines and milestones with clear systems/processes.
- A solid understanding of journalistic or other media-related production systems and workflow methodologies.
- Digital workplace skill sets, including proficiency in collaborative digital work solutions such as Google Drive (Google Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc.), Slack (or equivalents such as Teams), and project management tools like Trello (or equivalents).
- An understanding of media ecosystems and/or digital advocacy and/or digital civic engagement.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present research insights and shape research outputs.
- The ability to collaborate with a diverse set of multidisciplinary project stakeholders.
- Experience in working with remote, distributed teams with agile methodologies.
- Proactive, solutions-oriented approach to problem solving
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with good prioritisation and time management skills
- Ability to work with minimal instruction in a teamwork environment
- Strong organisational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- High professional standards and ethics
Preferred: candidates who are able to demonstrate the following will have an advantage:
- Competence in open source intelligence (OSINT) research techniques, including data scraping, data mining and other intelligence gathering techniques.
- Competence in computational linguistics, Natural Language Processing, and specifically the methodologies and tools offered by the MediaCloud.org platform.
- Multiple languages, such as French, Arabic and other languages spoken in Africa.
Language and Location Requirements:
Location: Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal or South Africa. Exceptional candidates from elsewhere in Africa will be considered.
International Language: English
Preferred but not required: Arabic, French, KiSwahili or any other major language spoken in Africa.
Responsibilities: Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Managing the editorial production process and content diaries for CfA’s teams producing analytic and investigative reports.
- Scheduling and running the weekly ‘insights diary’ used to shape CfA’s reports and investigative outputs.
- Ensuring that reports, presentations and briefing documents are delivered on time by the relevant teams.
- Ensuring that analytical and investigative outputs are aligned with organisational goals and lead to meaningful outcomes.
What We Offer:
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques/technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.
How To Apply:
Do you want to drive investigative research and analysis that helps African democracies thrive? If yes, Apply Here
Application Deadline: 15 April 2022
Leave a Reply